MORRISVILLE, N.Y. – The attacking duo of junior Chris Dovi (Cortland, N.Y.) and Nick Geswaldo (Lafayette, N.Y.) combined for 11 of the Mustangs 19 scores Wednesday night, as Morrisville State handed visiting Cazenovia College their first North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) loss of the season, a 19-9 defeat, in Morrisville.
- Final Score: Morrisville 19, Cazenovia 9
- Location: Drake Field, Morrisville, N.Y.
- Records: Cazenovia 4-3, 2-1 NEAC; Morrisville 4-6, 3-0 NEAC
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- Junior Chris Dovi (Cortland, N.Y.) registered five of his game total eight points in the opening quarter Wednesday night as he paced the Mustangs with a combined six goals and two assists in the win over Cazenovia in a Route 20 Rivalry showdown in Morrisville.
- Morrisville State's veteran heavy offensive unit combined for a total 17 of the Mustangs 19 goals and 12 assists in the dominating effort, including five scores that came from senior Nick Geswaldo (Lafayette, N.Y.) who also added three assists, for the Mustangs third straight win.
- Joseph Rosaschi (Syracuse, N.Y.) collected five points behind three goals and two assists, while Joe Piedigrossi (Cortland, N.Y.) added another two tallies, while hitting three others to record three assists.
- Senior Niko Cejic (Johnson City, N.Y.) posted the win with seven stops, four in the second quarter of action.
- Morrisville State held the 50-34 advantage in shots, and 40-26 benefit in the battle on the ground with Shawn Walberger (Fulton, N.Y.) picking up a team high six ground balls.
- Geswaldo, Dovi and Charlie Bedard (Southampton, N.Y.) each added four ground ball pickups in the win.
- Morrisville State shut out the visitors in the opening quarter while rattling off six of their own to claim a 6-0 lead after the first. Dovi notched the first score of the night at the 13:45 mark, an unassisted tally.
- After a Rosaschi goal, Geswaldo netted the first of three Mustang extra man scores midway through, before Rosaschi collected his second of the night seconds later on the dish from Dovi, who rifled off two more to end the quarter.
- Morrisville State added to their lead with back-to-back scores in the second before Cazenovia was able to get on the board, but two more from the host Mustangs would extend their lead to 10-3 at the break.
- Both squads played to a back-and-forth third quarter, but Morrisville State maintained the eight goal advantage, and in the fourth put the game out of reach with four straight for the double-digit lead and win.
- Morrisville State returns to the field Sunday, hosting Medaille College at 2:30 p.m. on Drake Field in Morrisville.
Morrisville State College's curricula are enriched with applied learning and pave the way for opportunity at both the Morrisville and Norwich campuses. An action-oriented, interactive learning lab, the college is a national leader in technology and has been lauded for its exemplary, innovative and effective community service programs.
The college was ranked among the Best Regional Colleges in the North by U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges 2018 issue and was also recognized in the Top Public Schools, Regional Colleges North in the 2018 Best Colleges rankings. For more information about Morrisville State College, visit www.morrisville.edu.