COBLESKILL, N.Y. – The Morrisville State men's lacrosse team took one step closer towards the post-season Wednesday afternoon as they shut down host SUNY Cobleskill en route to a 17-2 North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) win, improving to 6-0 within the conference with one regular season game remaining.
- Final Score: Morrisville 17, Cobleskill 2
- Location: Cobleskill, N.Y.
- Records: Morrisville 7-6, 6-0 NEAC; Cobleskill 3-9, 1-6 NEAC
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- Morrisville State shut down the Cobleskill Fighting Tigers through three quarters of action Wednesday afternoon while compiling 16 scores across 45 minutes to top the hosts by a 17-2 final score in conference play.
- Junior Joe Rosaschi (Syracuse, N.Y.) led the Mustangs with seven points in the contest, netting five scores and assisting another two. All five of his tallies came in the first half on the day, with three in the opening quarter.
- Chris Dovi (Cortland, N.Y.) added four more to the Mustangs tallies, assisting two, while teammate's Joe Piedigrossi (Cortland, N.Y.) and Zach Palin (Lafayette, N.Y.) each registered two.
- Jake Cassel (Goshen, N.Y.), Zach Wilsey (Chittenango, N.Y.), Chad Temple (Minoa, N.Y.) and Gerald Klubek (Eden, N.Y.) posted one apiece to round out the goal scorers for the visitors.
- Niko Cejic (Johnson City, N.Y.) collected the win in net, allowing no scores while compiling five stops in the first three quarters before being relieved by Brenden Gibson (Kirkville, N.Y.) who made three stops in the fourth frame.
- Morrisville State was near perfect from the center x, winning 20-of-22 face-offs. Shawn Walberger (Fulton, N.Y.) posted 17 wins at the line, while Nate McCormick (Cortland, N.Y.) added another three. Walberger added 17 ground ball pickups to his season totals.
- Freshman defender Zack Mabry (Suffern, N.Y.) added to the Mustangs dominance in the ground ball battle, adding seven pick-ups of his own in the 62-20 Morrisville State advantage, while causing a season high eight turnovers.
- Dovi put the Mustangs on the board early, netting the first Morrisville State tally a mere 44 seconds into the contest, before following with a second on the extra man opportunity just over a minute later for the 2-0 visitor lead.
- Fifty-two seconds later, Rosaschi posted his first of three straight, before Dovi sent the game into the second quarter with a 6-0 Mustang lead. Both of Rosaschi's tallies after the unassisted goal at the 12:06 mark were assisted by Dovi.
- Morrisville State extended their lead to 10-0 at the break with four tallies in the second quarter, two additional from Rosaschi, with contribution from Piedigrossi and Dovi.
- After dominating the third and not allowing a Cobleskill score, Morrisville State rattled off six more for a commanding 16-0 lead and added to their advantage early in the fourth with a score from Klubek.
- Cobleskill was finally able to break through the Mustang defense at the 2:33 mark of the final quarter, adding a final tally with 1:37 to go as the visitors collected the win.
- Morrisville State will hit the road for their final regular season contest of 2019, traveling to rival Keuka College. The contest will be a battle of the two remaining undefeated teams in the NEAC, each sitting at 6-0. Opening face-off is scheduled for 1 p.m. Saturday.
Morrisville State College's curricula are enriched with applied learning and pave the way for opportunity at both the Morrisville and Norwich campuses. An action-oriented, interactive learning lab, the college is a national leader in technology and has been lauded for its exemplary, innovative and effective community service programs.
The college was ranked among the Best Regional Colleges in the North by U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges 2018 issue and was also recognized in the Top Public Schools, Regional Colleges North in the 2018 Best Colleges rankings. For more information about Morrisville State College, visit www.morrisville.edu.