BUFFALO, N.Y. – The Morrisville State women's lacrosse team improved to 8-0 in conference play Saturday morning as they handed host D'Youville College a 17-6 North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) defeat on Dobson Field in Buffalo.
- Final Score: Morrisville 17, D'Youville 6
- Location: Dobson Field, Buffalo, N.Y.
- Records: Morrisville 11-4, 8-0 NEAC; D'Youville 4-10, 0-6 NEAC
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- Junior defender Lydia Cooley (Honeoye Falls, N.Y.) stood tall for the Mustangs defensive unit that limited a D'Youville squad to just 13 total shots and six goals across 60 minutes of action Saturday morning, as she recorded 10 ground balls and nine Spartan take-a-ways while the offensive unit ripped of 17 scores in the North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) win in Buffalo.
- Senior midfielder Courtney Cavellier (Rodman, N.Y.) led the Mustangs for a second time in as many games, notching six scores, while Jillian Hughes (Brookfield, N.Y.) added five goals and an assist to her tallies.
- Junior Chelsea McNeal (Ithaca, N.Y.) matched her season high five assists, also adding a score.
- Kadi Bice (Lorraine, N.Y.) registered five saves in the win, adding five ground balls and two caused turnovers across 60 minutes of action.
- Morrisville State led 10-4 at the break, after going in spurts of three throughout the first half.
- Cavellier opened the scoring at the 27:33 mark with a free position tally, one of three total the Mustangs netted on the day, before McNeal got in on the scoring three minutes later.
- After a second Cavellier tally, D'Youville was able to put one past Bice, but again Morrisville State posted three straight to open the contest to a five goal advantage.
- The Spartans notched a second at 16:26, but Cavellier matched the tally for her fourth of the half, regaining the five goal lead for the visitors.
- D'Youville added their third at 5:43 to cut the deficit to four, but again the senior midfielder responded with another score, kicking off a three goal spurt to end the half for the Mustangs.
- The second half opened with four straight from Morrisville State, including two from Hughes, before trading scores with the hosts over the ensuing five minutes, extending the lead to 10.
- Cavellier added a final tally with two minutes remaining, her sixth of the morning.
- Morrisville State will host SUNY Oswego for their home finale on Tuesday, with opening draw scheduled for 4 p.m., before wrapping up the regular season with a final NEAC outing at SUNY Poly.
Morrisville State College's curricula are enriched with applied learning and pave the way for opportunity at both the Morrisville and Norwich campuses. An action-oriented, interactive learning lab, the college is a national leader in technology and has been lauded for its exemplary, innovative and effective community service programs.
The college was ranked among the Best Regional Colleges in the North by U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges 2018 issue and was also recognized in the Top Public Schools, Regional Colleges North in the 2018 Best Colleges rankings. For more information about Morrisville State College, visit www.morrisville.edu.