MARCY, N.Y. – The Morrisville State women's lacrosse team used an 11 goal surge in the second half against host SUNY Polytechnic Saturday afternoon to hand the Wildcats a 19-7 loss, as the Mustangs finished the season with an unblemished 9-0 conference slate.
- Final Score: Morrisville State 19, SUNY Poly 7
- Location: Wildcat Field House, Marcy, N.Y.
- Records: Morrisville State 12-5, 9-0 NEAC; SUNY Polytechnic 10-6, 7-2 NEAC
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- Morrisville State held an 8-6 lead at the break over the host SUNY Poly Wildcats before steamrolling with an 11 goal second half to a 19-7 final decision in North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) play.
- With the win, Morrisville State finishes the regular season schedule with an unblemished 9-0 NEAC slate, claiming the regular season conference championship title for a second straight year.
- Five Mustangs posted three or more scores on the day, with another two contributing to the win.
- Celia Abbott (Shortsville, N.Y.) collected four tallies, adding two assists for a six point outing, while fellow senior Courtney Cavellier (Rodman, N.Y.) also collected six points, netting three goals and assisting another three.
- Makenzi Santini (Fairport, N.Y.), Grace Hanehan (Saratoga Springs, N.Y.) and Jillian Hughes (Brookfield, N.Y.) contributed three apiece for the hat trick performances, with Melissa Lucciola (Monroe, N.Y.) and Lauren McGreal (Pawling, N.Y.) rounding out the scoring with the final three scores.
- Kadi Bice (Lorraine, N.Y.) posted the win, turning away 10, including four in the second half of action.
- Cavellier posted the first tally for the Mustangs 21 seconds in before Poly responded a minute later with the equalizer, but a 5-0 Morrisville State run gave them the edge heading into the break as both teams battled back and forth throughout the remainder of the opening half.
- In the second, Morrisville State opened with four straight before Poly collected a score, bit the dagger was served as in the final 15 minutes of the period the Mustangs added another seven, including three within two minutes time.
- Morrisville State held the 15-13 edge in draws, with McGreal collecting a team high five.
- The Mustangs also won the battle in ground balls, 44-33, as Cavellier and Lexi Firkins (Brockport, N.Y.) each picked up eight. Firkins also added five caused turnovers to her tallies.
- Morrisville State was 5-for-6 in free positions on the day, all five coming in the second half.
- Morrisville State will serve as host of the 2019 NEAC Championship Tournament, and will learn their opponent following the opening round of play midweek. Additional details will be announced by the conference office this weekend.
Morrisville State College's curricula are enriched with applied learning and pave the way for opportunity at both the Morrisville and Norwich campuses. An action-oriented, interactive learning lab, the college is a national leader in technology and has been lauded for its exemplary, innovative and effective community service programs.
The college was ranked among the Best Regional Colleges in the North by U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges 2018 issue and was also recognized in the Top Public Schools, Regional Colleges North in the 2018 Best Colleges rankings. For more information about Morrisville State College, visit www.morrisville.edu.