MORRISVILLE, N.Y. – The top seeded Morrisville State women's lacrosse team will look to defend their title Sunday afternoon as they handed Cazenovia College a 22-4 defeat Saturday in the first of the North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) semifinal action held on Drake Field on the SUNY Morrisville campus.
- FINAL SCORE: Morrisville 22, Cazenovia 4
- Location: Drake Field, Morrisville, N.Y.
- Records: Morrisville 13-5, Cazenovia 9-7
- Game Notes: North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) Championship Tournament Semifinal
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- Morrisville State opened with the first three goals, including two in the opening minute, before Cazenovia posted two on the board to make it a one goal game, but the Mustangs rallied for 14 straight to end the half for the commanding 17-2 lead at the break.
- The top seeded Mustangs added another to start the second half, before the Wildcats posted two straight, but the hosts proved too much for the fifth seed as they added four more down the stretch to secure the victory.
- Morrisville State had eight combine for 35 points on the afternoon, including Melissa Lucciola (Monroe, N.Y.) who posted six goals and two assists for eight.
- Chelsea McNeal (Ithaca, N.Y.) collected seven behind three goals and four assists, while Grace Hanehan (Saratoga Springs, N.Y.) registered five more goals.
- Celia Abbott (Shortsville, N.Y.) posted the hat trick with three tallies, while assisting another, while Makenzie Santini (Fairport, N.Y.) added a five point outing with her two goals and three assists.
- Kadi Bice (Lorraine, N.Y.) made six stops in net for the win for the Mustangs, sending them to the final round for a third straight season.
- Morrisville State dominated Cazenovia from the get go, outgaining the Wildcats 39-14 in shots, and 23-13 in ground balls.
- Morrisville State also outgained Cazenovia 17-10 in draws from the center start, with eight wins going in favor of Mustang senior Courtney Cavellier (Rodman, N.Y.).
- Cazenovia got three scores from Geena Terrance and another from Callie Andolina.
- Amanda Drazek collected 10 saves in the loss for the Wildcats, who end their season at 9-7.
- Morrisville State will make their third straight appearance in the NEAC tournament Sunday, defending their title against third seeded SUNY Poly who defeated second seed Keuka 21-16 in the second semifinal. Opening draw will take place at 1 p.m. Sunday on Drake Field in Morrisville.
Morrisville State College's curricula are enriched with applied learning and pave the way for opportunity at both the Morrisville and Norwich campuses. An action-oriented, interactive learning lab, the college is a national leader in technology and has been lauded for its exemplary, innovative and effective community service programs.
The college was ranked among the Best Regional Colleges in the North by U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges 2018 issue and was also recognized in the Top Public Schools, Regional Colleges North in the 2018 Best Colleges rankings. For more information about Morrisville State College, visit www.morrisville.edu.